Dog Dermatitus (Flea Allergy)


Posted by ron1945 | Posted in Dog Dermatitus - Flea Allergy | Posted on 15-08-2010

Dog Dermatitis (Flea Allergy)

is caused by an allergic reaction to the saliva from a flea bite.  Only one flea (a blood sucking insect) is needed to cause your dog to react to this uncomfortable and pesky irritant.  A flea bite, where the saliva is exchanged, can set off itching over the entire body, not just where the flea bite may have occurred.   Given the right conditions a flea can live from 6 to 12 months.  Fleas prefer a humid environment and moderate temperatures in the  65° to 80° Fahrenheit range.

The Flea (of the order Siphonaptera -a Greek word derived from “siphon” meaning a tube or pipe, and “aptera” meaning wingless), is the common name for wingless insects whose mouth-parts are very adapted for piercing skin and sucking blood. Fleas are external parasites and live off the blood of mammals (including humans) and birds.

Fleas tend to enjoy the haunch and tail area of the dog.  Fleas only need to infect the dog with a bite or two every two weeks.  This little amount of irritation by one flea  can make an allergic dog itchy all the time.   Some dogs are more prone to the allergy from flea bites than others, but all dogs can be come allergic.

This little (by size) pest can cause a significant discomfort for the dog, and their incessant scratching as they attempt to eliminate the pest or the problem–neither of which is very successful. The dog’s scratching is the most tale tale sign there may be a flea problem.  The dogs scratching is the primary cause of the loss of fur.  Flea infestation can incite your dog to scratching off the hair, but also causing red raw areas which make them susceptible to other ailments.

Treatment with a topical flea-control is the best solution to this problem.  Giving your dog a flea bath, which may include a flea shampoo,  is one of the fastest  flea treatment method.  Wearing a flea collar can also be of help, but either treatment could present their own problems if the dog reacts negatively to them.  Keeping their bedding and sleeping area free of the pest is equally helpful. If your have other pets in the home, they most likely will need to be treated too.

If the problem persists, check with your veterinarian.  <<< Return to Dog Loss Overview

The information contained in the articles on this website is provided for information purposes only. The articles are not written by veterinarians per se. As such, the information should not be considered as a replacement for the advice of a veterinarian. Great care is made in the creation of these articles; however, we cannot guarantee their accuracy and/or omissions. In all cases where doubt may exist, we recommend seeking appropriate professional veterinary advice and assistance.

Write a comment